]]>

Friday, July 14, 2006

I Heart Playful Sex.















Ok, this post is wayyy overdue. When Asobi Seksu (Japanese for “Playful Sex”) came out with their new album, Citrus, I told myself I would have to put up my favorite J-pop-ish-dream- rockish-shoegazer-ish song, “I’m Happy But You Don’t Like Me.” So it’s been well over a month since the album release, and here I am, late and not up on my game putting up songs a lot of people have heard and blogged about already. Oh well. If you can’t tell by my past postings, that’s just how I do.

Based in New York, Asobi Seksu released their debut self-titled album in 2004 to much critical acclaim. Although many describe Asobi Seksu’s sound as similar to that of My Bloody Valentine, I think that comparison really obscures the more lighthearted and playful sound that emerges through the fuzzy and gray wall of sound created by the band. Despite ample use of the fuzzbox and melancholy-drenched lyrics, what strikes me most about Asobi Seksu is how they manage to blend Japanese pop sensibilities with the lush guitar work of James Hanna. The resulting blend is both bitter and sweet, just how I like it.

[MP3] Asobi Seksu :: I’m Happy But You Don’t Like Me

Asobi Seksu’s Website

p.s. Sean McCabe is the artist behind the Asobi Seksu’s artwork, check him out here and here.

Update: If you're in LA, see Asobi Seksu at The Echo on October 6th, I don't think they've come out here before, so be sure to check them out.

|bruce banner|

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is shoegazer music?

11:19 AM  
Blogger RIP BANNER said...

yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too, and i'm still not entirely clear how it may differ from what's called "dream pop" or other rock subgenres, so here's a better source to answer your question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazer

hope it clears things up, i personally don't like these subgenre (like neo-soul!??! ugh.) labels so much, but whatever

2:37 PM  
Blogger EL FAMOUS said...

Just picked this up...awesome record. Second favorite 2006 release behind Sound Team's 'Movie Monster'. Love the blog BTW, good stuff.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bruce banner you are teh new hot!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home